Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership
HIPL provides leadership development through tailored training in areas of: conflict resolution, teambuilding, leadership development, decision making, and problem solving in the public sector.
The Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership provides public officials and others involved in the development, management, and execution of public policy with the tools and skills needed to make informed decisions and manage responsive organizations in order to govern and lead public sector and non-profit organizations effectively.
The Institute’s programs enable connections among people serving in state and local government. They are customized to meet the unique needs of participants. Sessions cover such topics as:
The Institute draws upon the renowned expertise of Bryant University faculty, including:
| Lori A. Coakley
Associate Professor of Management
| James Segovis
Bryant Executive in Residence
| Rich Holtzman
Associate Professor of Political Science
| Edinaldo Tebaldi
Assistant Professor of Economics
| Michael A. Roberto
Trustee Professor of Management
| Angela Wicks
Associate Professor of Management
Events / News
- Spring Certification Series -- Managing Effectively. This certification series will familiarize you with techniques to effectively lead your organization in areas such as directing your organization so it is responsive to policy needs, produces results, and operates within the restraints of available resources. Bi-weekly class 6:30-8 p.m. starting Jan. 13, 2014, with instructor Gary Sasse. (Reserve your spot today, as a minimal class attendance must be reached to proceed.) No fee for the certification, however the purchase of two books is required.
- Communications and Technology for School Committee Members. Feb.8
- Leadership Development for Fire Chiefs. March 6-7
For all events, RSVP to email@example.com or call 401-232-6193.
In the News
- Institute's 2013 conference explores strategies for innovation and organizational change
- What it takes to lead during a crisis
- $1 million gift given to Bryant to support the work of the Institute
- Nine leadership guidelines that offer R.I. a clear vision of public leadership
- A training program for the state’s newest civic leaders
- Schooling skilled policy makers
"The need for a program like this in Rhode Island is critical. This is just one example of the University's vision of fostering character and leadership -- not only among our students, alumni and faculty, but within the state of Rhode Island as well."
– Ronald K. Machtley, President, Bryant University
"We are nonpartisan. We discuss techniques officials can use to make sure they are getting a wide range of opinions and ideas to ensure that they're not just hearing from people who agree with them. We talk about the importance of constructive conflict and dialogue, how they don't want their staffs afraid to tell them the truth."
– Michael A. Roberto, Trustee Professor of Management
"By working with the Institute's core group of faculty experts, municipal leaders can develop and strengthen skills they will need to face pressing issues head-on."
– Gary Sasse, Founding Director, Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership
"This is a forum to have a real discussion about what the future is and can be, without the politics involved. It was very powerful walking into a group of officials...all with the goal of doing the right thing."
– Scott Avedisian, Mayor, City of Warwick, RI
“I can't tell you enough how helpful the program was to the team. In fact, this week as we worked through many of the issues Pawtucket is faced with, we continuously reflected back to the information provided this past weekend.”
– Donald Grebien, Mayor, City of Pawtucket, RI
The Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership is supported by a gift from Hassenfeld Family Initiatives.
Unistructure Building, Bryant University 1150 Douglas Pike Smithfield, RI 02917