Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership
HIPL provides leadership development through tailored training in areas of: conflict resolution, teambuilding, leadership development, decision making, and problem solving in the public sector.
The Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership provides public officials and others involved in the development, management, and execution of public policy with the tools and skills needed to make informed decisions and manage responsive organizations in order to govern and lead public sector and non-profit organizations effectively.
The Institute’s programs enable connections among people serving in state and local government. They are customized to meet the unique needs of participants. Sessions cover such topics as:
The Institute draws upon the renowned expertise of Bryant University faculty, including:
Events / News
In the News
- January 2016 HIPL poll: State's direction, tolls for road repair, more
- October 2015 HIPL poll: Rhode Islanders want bridges fixed, Pawsox to stay
- April 2015 HIPL poll: 45 percent say R.I. headed in wrong direction but believe leadership will be stronger
- Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership: Five Years of Making a Difference
- Hassenfeld Institute releases leadership statements from Providence mayoral candidates
- Vice Admiral Walter E. Carter Jr. speaks about leadership at conference co-sponsored by HIPL
- HIPL director, Bryant prof say state offers fertile ground for government innovation.
- Founding Director Gary Sasse: Are gubernatorial candidates being realistic and focused? (Aug. 20 GoLocalProv.com)
- The latest installment of the JOB ONE: LEADERSHIP initiative (May 3, 2014)
- JOB ONE: LEADERSHIP initiative includes Institute, Providence Journal, RI PBS (April 30 Providence Journal ad .pdf )
- Institute's 2013 conference explores strategies for innovation and organizational change
- What it takes to lead during a crisis
- $1 million gift given to Bryant to support the work of the Institute
- Nine leadership guidelines that offer R.I. a clear vision of public leadership
- A training program for the state’s newest civic leaders
- Schooling skilled policy makers
"The need for a program like this in Rhode Island is critical. This is just one example of the University's vision of fostering character and leadership -- not only among our students, alumni and faculty, but within the state of Rhode Island as well."
– Ronald K. Machtley, President, Bryant University
"We are nonpartisan. We discuss techniques officials can use to make sure they are getting a wide range of opinions and ideas to ensure that they're not just hearing from people who agree with them. We talk about the importance of constructive conflict and dialogue, how they don't want their staffs afraid to tell them the truth."
– Michael A. Roberto, Trustee Professor of Management
"By working with the Institute's core group of faculty experts, municipal leaders can develop and strengthen skills they will need to face pressing issues head-on."
– Gary Sasse, Founding Director, Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership
"This is a forum to have a real discussion about what the future is and can be, without the politics involved. It was very powerful walking into a group of officials...all with the goal of doing the right thing."
– Scott Avedisian, Mayor, City of Warwick, RI
“I can't tell you enough how helpful the program was to the team. In fact, this week as we worked through many of the issues Pawtucket is faced with, we continuously reflected back to the information provided this past weekend.”
– Donald Grebien, Mayor, City of Pawtucket, RI
The Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership is supported by a gift from Hassenfeld Family Initiatives.
Unistructure Building, Bryant University 1150 Douglas Pike Smithfield, RI 02917