$57,000 First Year Salary | Learn More

General FAQs

In 2016-17, the entire financial aid program at Bryant University exceeded $85 million. For the 2017-2018 academic year, Bryant will offer roughly $16 million in institutional grants and merit scholarships to incoming freshmen.

Financial assistance is available to most college students in three forms:

  • gift aid including grants and/or scholarships based on financial need and/or academic merit,
  • education loans
  • part-time employment opportunities on- and off-campus.

This assistance may be funded by the University, the government and/or private concerns.

We strongly encourage you to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the U.S. Department of Education – regardless of family financial circumstances. The FAFSA must be completed on line at www.fafsa.gov. Fall applicants and current Bryant student should complete their FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1, and prior to February 15 in advance of the fall (September) term that they plan to attend.

Filing your FAFSA will give you access to important and current information regarding your eligibility for need-based assistance. For questions about this process, call Bryant’s Office of Financial Aid at (401) 232-6020 or (800) 248-4036 or via e-mail: finaid@bryant.edu.

In the meantime, these Frequently Asked Questions – and answers – may provide the clarification you need.

It is always advisable to file a FAFSA each year. It costs you nothing and is the only sure way to find out if you might really be eligible for assistance. Filing a FAFSA each year also gives the financial aid office something to work with should you family’s financial circumstances change. Finally, it is necessary for any student interested in receiving a Federal Stafford Loan to complete the FAFSA.
No, unless you wish to know for certain how much financial assistance in the form of need-based grants, work-study and student loans you may be eligible in a given school year. It is always advisable to make no assumptions and file a FAFSA each year. It’s free.
Colleges and state grant agencies all have financial aid applications deadlines which may differ from one another. You can find out what your state grant agency’s deadline is for filing the FAFSA on this page. It is important to confirm the FAFSA deadlines (and required forms) of each college to which you are applying, as missing the deadline may carry unfortunate consequences. Fall semester freshman applicants to Bryant must complete their FAFSA by February 15. That is roughly seven months before the beginning of fall classes.
Colleges and state grant agencies all have financial aid applications deadlines which may differ from one another. You can find out what your state’s deadline is for filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by visiting https://fafsa.ed.gov/deadlines.htm.
Yes. Financial aid (grants, work-study and loans) is not renewed automatically. All returning Bryant students are required to submit a new FAFSA each year.
Eligibility is a function of the information reported each year on the FAFSA and other related materials. You must complete a FAFSA each year to be considered. Our Office of Financial Aid will make your eligibility known to you each year via email.
In addition to the installment payment plan, a number of education financing options may be available. The Office of Financial Aid can assist in identifying a program for you. In virtually all cases, the student will require a parent borrower or creditworthy co-signer to qualify for these loans.
No. Recipients must complete the FAFSA each year in order to be considered for these awards.
All students considering fall application to Bryant should complete a FAFSA between October 1 and February 15 of the fall semester they are considering application to the University.
Although participating in a program of study abroad will not directly impact your financial aid eligibility, the costs can sometimes result in limited increases to the amounts you might choose to finance through the Federal Parent PLUS or other private education loans.
International students are considered by the Office of Admission for academic scholarship awards when they submit their application to Bryant. A number of privately funded (non-government) education loans are available to international students who are able to secure a U.S. citizen co-borrower.
Bryant offers a 10% tuition discount to full-time undergraduate students who have an older sibling who is also a full-time undergraduate at the University.
Yes, as long as they have completed a secondary school education that satisfies the laws of their home state. Students for whom this cannot be documented will be required to pass a GED examination.
In most cases, you should enter the financial information of the parent with whom you have resided most during the twelve months before the day you complete your FAFSA, as well as that of his/her current spouse. Further questions should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.
The EFC is the mathematical result of a U.S. Department of Education formula used to determine an amount that might be considered available from your family’s income and assets to pay for your education. It is important to note that this figure, despite its name, can be considerably less than the college-related costs you will actually incur.
All Bryant scholarships and grants require you to maintain full-time enrollment (at least 12 credits) to receive your awards.
Federal Direct Stafford Loans require no less than half-time (at least 6 credits) enrollment status, therefore you would not be permitted to participate in this federal student loan. Part-time students can, on very rare occasions, qualify for a limited amount of Federal Pell Grant funds.
The circumstances will need to be considered in determining your eligibility for aid upon your return. It is recommended that you communicate the nature of your situation, as well as your plans to return to the University, to the Office of Financial Aid at the point of withdrawal.
Although there is some variation, most education loans will not require repayment until after you graduate or cease to be enrolled in a degree program. For example, federal student loans allow for a grace period (9 month for Perkins Loans and 6 months for Stafford Loans) after graduation during which payment is not required. It should be noted, however, that while the government pays interest accrued on Perkins and subsidized Stafford Loans during the grace period, interest accrues on unsubsidized Stafford Loans during that time. Most private education loans will require repayment to begin after graduation and will not carry a grace period of any kind.
The U.S. Department of Education will assign a loan servicer for your Federal Direct Stafford Loans. All questions are best directed to your loan servicer. If you received a Federal Perkins Loan while at Bryant, you should direct all questions to University Accounting Service, the firm contracted by Bryant’s Bursar to service these loans. Questions pertaining to any private education loans you may have received while at Bryant should be directed to the lending firm from which you received the funds.

To learn more, please contact:

Office of Financial Aid
Phone: (401) 232-6020
Email:  finaid@bryant.edu