Types of Student Visas

F-1 visa

Most international students at Bryant University are on F-1 visa status – the most common visa status used by students studying in the U.S.

All full-time admitted students are eligible for the F-1 visa once they meet the following requirements:

Once your eligibility is met, Bryant University will issue SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility.” You will then need to apply for an F-1 student visa.

Resources for F-1 visa

J-1 visa

J-1 visa status is generally used for students in specific educational exchange programs such as Fulbright. Those eligible for J-1 are either participating in a specific educational exchange program or they must receive at least 51% of their funding from a source other than personal or family funds. This may come from a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship from an external source, such as Bryant University scholarship, your home government, a corporate sponsor, etc.

Resources for J-1 visa

Comparing J-1 and F-1 status

F-1 Status

J-1 Status

Source of Funding

Any student, funded either by personal or outside funds or a combination of both.

May have at least 51% of funding from a source other than personal.


On-campus employment does not require a work permit. Off-campus employment requires a work permit from Bryant University International Office and/or the Immigration Service.

Any employment on- or off- campus requires a work permit from the program sponsor.

Post-degree Employment

Post-completion Optional Practical Training is available for up to 12 months. No job offer is required at the time of application. An extension for 17 months is possible for certain STEM majors.

Post-degree academic training is available for up to 18 months and you must have a job offer before the end of studies. Off-campus work during the degree program reduces the total period of Academic Training.


F-2 dependent (spouse/child) not eligible for any work permit.

J-2 dependent (spouse/child) can work.

Home Residency Requirement

No two-year home country residency requirement

J-1 and J-2 dependents may be subject to the two-year home country residency requirement.

Please contact OISS to discuss your eligibility for J-1 student visa.

OISS portal

For more information, please contact:

Office of International Students and Scholars