Awards and Recognition for Innovation at Bryant
SMITHFIELD, RI – Bryant’s growing culture of innovation—marked by the opening the Academic Innovation Center, five years of IDEA (Innovation and Design Experience for All), and new interdisciplinary, future-focused programs—is attracting media attention and recognition.
Most recently, Providence Business News recognized Bryant as one of the region’s most innovative and forward thinking organizations at the 2017 Fastest Growing and Innovative Companies Awards on Sept. 19. Bryant was honored along with a number of other cutting-edge companies in the technology, biotechnology and life sciences, and construction sectors.
In addition, Bryant’s new Academic Innovation Center, opened in Sept. 2016, has received a number of awards for design and innovation including the Grand Prize in College Planning & Management’s 17th Annual Design Showcase, the New Construction Award (under $30 million category) from the Construction Management Association of America, and an Outstanding Design award in American Schools and Universities Architectural Portfolio—the premier showcase celebrating the best in education design.
“Bryant’s Academic Innovation Center is a facility that redefines the future of teaching and learning in higher education,” said Bryant President Ronald K. Machtley, in his 21st year at Bryant. “It is the result of a five-year innovative research-and-design-thinking process, and we are proud to see it receive this recognition.”
Awards and accolades highlights
- Innovation Award, Providence Business News, Fastest Growing and Innovative Companies
- Grand Prize, College Planning & Management 17th Annual Design Showcase
- Outstanding Design, American Schools and Universities 2017 Architectural Portfolio
- New Construction Winner, under $30 million category, Construction Management Association of America (CMAA), New England Chapter
- Illumination Awards for Interior Lighting Design and Energy and Environmental Lighting Design, Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA)
- Honorable Mention, Learning by Design, Spring 2017 Architectural Showcase
Advancements in innovative teaching and learning at Bryant have also attracted the attention of top education and news media with features in University Business, BizEd ,the magazine of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), College Planning & Management, Times Higher Education UK, and EduCause, a higher education technology association and the largest community of IT leaders and professionals committed to advancing higher education.
Highlights of recent media coverage
- University Business: Six Steps for Colleges to Inspire Innovation, by Ronald K. Machtley, "For students to be tomorrow’s visionaries, we must change how we teach them today." August 24, 2017
- EduCause: Six Steps to Innovation, op-ed by Bryant President Ronald K. Machtley, July 3, 2017
- AACSB BizEd Magazine: Cultivating Campus Cultures of Teaching. Ways to encourage faculty to innovate in the classroom. July/August 2017
- Times Higher Ed (UK): Trust academics to design classrooms of future. June 14, 2017
- Inc. Magazine: 22 Books to Help You Get Ahead in Business and Life. President Machtley was one of 22 top CEOs (the only university president) to give book recommendations. June 3, 2017
- EdSurge.com: A New Architecture for the University Campus of the Future. March 22, 2017
- College Planning & Management Magazine: Future Focused, Bryant’s Academic Innovation Center. March 1, 2017
- University Business: Bryant IDEA Marks Five Years Teaching Design Thinking Methods, January 20, 2017
- Providence Journal: Bryant ready to show off its Academic Innovation Center, September 18, 2016