Bulldog Strength and Conditioning Center honored for design excellence
The American Institute of Architects / Rhode Island chapter (AIAri) has recognized Bryant’s Bulldog Strength and Conditioning Center with an honor award, the organization’s top prize, in the educational/institutional category. The AIAri celebrated the year’s outstanding works of architecture at its annual Design Awards ceremony on Dec.1, 2016.
Respected sports industry publication Athletic Business Magazine named the building a Facility of Merit in its 36th annual awards issue in Oct. 2016. According to the publication, facilities are evaluated on several criteria including functional planning, design, and site. “Strength is beauty,” said one judge. “Another judge lauded the modern facility’s stone, steel and glass detailing and its ability to ‘flex’ between an athletic space and a formal events space.”
Designed by Sasaki Associates in and completed in September 2015, The Bulldog Strength and Conditioning Center is a 10,600-square-foot state-of-the art facility that more than doubles the space where Bryant’s 550 student-athletes train, allowing entire teams to work out in one rotation. Weightlifting stations, workout areas, a nutrition station, and an indoor turf sprint area, all in one space, allow Bryant's 22 NCAA Division I teams to train efficiently with optimal results.
The building is part of the historic Bryant Builds initiative, the largest and most transformative facilities initiative since Bryant’s move from Providence to Smithfield 45 years ago. The completion of more than 250,000 square feet of new facilities has been made possible by unprecedented levels of philanthropic support for Bryant’s capital campaign, Expanding the World of Opportunity: The Campaign for Bryant’s Bold Future, which has already raised more than $63 million towards the campaign’s $75 million goal.
Under the leadership of University President Ronald K. Machtley, the historic Bryant Builds initiatives include:
- A new entrance, integrated landscape, and point of arrival
- The 50,000-square-foot Academic Innovation Center, opened in September 2016
- Bulldog Strength and Conditioning Center, completed in summer 2015
- A 78,000-squre-foot Indoor Practice Facility featuring a state-of-the-art indoor turf field with a full 100 yards of turf
- Enhancements to the Elizabeth and Malcolm Chace Wellness and Athletic Center, including a Sports Medicine and Training Center
- The School of Health Sciences Physician Assistant Learning Center
- Bryant University Zhuhai, a joint venture with Beijing Institute of Technology Zhuhai campus. Bryant’s Chinese partners have invested 100 percent of the capital for this project.