Emily Katz '20
Exploring has always been important to Emily Katz ’20. “I knew I wanted to travel in my career. I didn’t want to be stuck in the same office, at the same desk,” she says. At Bryant, she’s found an education that has helped her see the world and is giving her the tools to take her career wherever she wants.
Last year, Katz traveled to Malaysia and Singapore with Bryant’s Sophomore International Experience. “It was one of the best experiences of my entire life,” she says. “I learned so much from my professors, but we also had a chance to explore on our own and really immerse ourselves in the culture.
“You can only learn so much in the classroom,” notes Katz. “Being able to see things yourself, and do them yourself, is the most important, and best, part of learning.”
The integrated nature of her Bryant education is helping her to take what she’s learned and done and put it all together to understand the big picture. “You’re not just learning finance in your finance class,” says Katz. “And you’re not just learning about poetry in your Spanish class. You’re learning about how all of that, all those pieces, connect.”
That broader education, she says, helps students stand out. “I think that Bryant prepares all of its students to have an international focus, even if they’re not International Business majors,” says Katz. “We learn that we need to be both open-minded and well-rounded, as well as adaptable.”
The close-knit International Business community at Bryant is also a valuable asset. “We all have a really strong connection, and we help each other when we struggle,” she says. “That’s what I love about Bryant, everyone comes together here to support each other.”
Currently studying and interning in Chile, Katz is learning, and enjoying the experience, more than she ever imagined. “It’s something I’ve always dreamed about, and now I’m finally doing it,” she says. “I’ve only been here for a few months, but it already feels like home.”
Real World Experience
• Meets with undecided students interested in pursuing Global Supply Chain Management as their major.
Tutor, Academic Center for Excellence
• Helps students improve their Spanish proficiency, writing, and communication skills
Member, Supply Chain Leadership Association
• Networks with professionals and organizations, gaining a wide array of experiences and connections in the field
Sophomore International Experience: Malaysia and Singapore
• Engaged in an intensive international immersion experience, culminating in traveling to Malaysia and Singapore to learn about the business and culture of the region.
Study abroad; Adolfo Ibanez University, Viña del Mar, Chile
• Coursework includes classes in Latin American film, art, and culture that incorporate unique trips and experiences
Marketing and Social Media Intern, Tu espacio cowork
• Did market research in Viña del Mar, Chile to expand the company’s potential client base, worked to improving their social media marketing.
Vice President of Public Relations and Recruitment, Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority
• Created and carried out the informal and formal recruitment plans for the sorority. Led a five-person sub-committee and guided the Public Relations chair.
A Connected Community
Bryant's purposeful student life delivers co-curricular immersion with an inspiring, collegial community. Students forge deep connections that last a lifetime.