Arts and Creative Industries
Take control of your creative ambitions and immerse yourself in studio and practical learning in your chosen field.
Explore the nature of creativity, experiment with creative practices and build the skills necessary to embark on a career in the arts and creative industries. Our program blends theory, practice and experience in the field. You will gain direct knowledge of creative worlds both on campus and in the wider community. Hone your creative practice while examining industry-wide norms, challenges and best practices.
Choose to specialize in one of three areas, or combine disciplines for greater career flexibility:
- Creative Writing
- Performing Arts
- Visual Arts
Work alongside dedicated faculty mentors to build on your artistic and creative talents and select courses that align with your interests and career aspirations.
- Practice real world arts organization, management and performance skills with arts-based groups
- Focus on problem-solving and industry skills in the changing field of arts and entertainment.
- Tap into your creativity and showcase your work through venues like theater, pop-up galleries and an international journal of poetry and fiction.
- Immerse yourself in real-world learning experiences and internships, engaging with artists, libraries, museums and government organizations.
- Develop a portfolio of creative productions, including critical and creative writing, performance and visual art.
Offered asMajor | Minor
CollegeCollege of Arts & Sciences
DepartmentDepartment of English and Cultural Studies
Related ProgramsMedia and Cultural Studies Professional and Creative Writing
- A strong foundation integrating business, STEM fields and the liberal arts develops critical 21st century skills essential for success and continuous growth in every field.
- Every student graduates with a major and a complementary minor, gaining a competitive advantage that highlights the acumen and problem-solving abilities cultivated through experiential learning.
- Whether you begin a career or continue your education after graduation, Bryant credentials prepare impact thinkers who are in high demand and prepared to contribute and make a difference.
The Bryant Difference
99 percent of Bryant graduates are employed or enrolled in graduate school within six months of Commencement.
U.S. News and World Report 2023 Best College rankings list Bryant as No. 7 in the Regional Universities North category.
Top 1% ROI
For lifetime earnings and ROI -- Georgetown University CEW
Experiential Learning Opportunities
CAREER EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES
- Partner with community arts organizations like New Urban Arts, Festival Ballet Providence, and the Rhode Island Artists' Exchange.
- Intern at culture and publishing organizations such as the Wibury Theater Group and Motif Magazine.
- Discover opportunities with social service agencies, events marketing companies and government organizations.
- Bryant Arts Council
- Visual: Bryant Arts and Creativity, Fashion Forum
- Performance: Bryant Players, Bryant Improv Troupe, Velocity Dance Team
- Music: Chamber Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Bryant Singers, The Bottom Line
- Writing: Creative Writing Club, The Bryant Literary Review, Thrive Magazine
- Arts in the City - New York City
- Travel with Sophomore International Experience
- Study abroad in locations around the world
- Visiting Writer's Series
- Present and display work at the Day of Understanding and Research and Engagement Day
- Work on socially engaged art activities on campus and in the local community
- Present creative and critical work at Pop Up Gallery Night
- Collaborate with faculty on research activities and arts-projects
Our faculty include prominent scholars, teachers, and practitioners. They bring their expertise in research, publishing, art and community service to mentor and guide your mentorship in seeking internships, admission to graduate programs, and careers. Among them is:
Valerie Ann Carrigan, MFA, M.Ed.
Lecturer of English and Cultural Studies
1150 Douglas Pike
Smithfield, RI 02917