A counselor talks with a Bryant student

Counseling Services

College students experience great challenges in both their academic and personal lives. Change is constant, and stress often accompanies these new experiences.

Bryant Counseling Services

The Office of Counseling Services is located in the John H. Chafee Center, across the street from the Unistructure and Koffler.
(401) 232-6045
1150 Douglas Pike
Smithfield, RI 02917

Counselors are available M-F from 8:30AM-4:30PM for free, confidential counseling or consultation.

The Office of Counseling Services provides a place for students to discuss these multifaceted changes in a private and confidential setting. Counseling helps students cope with these challenges and make sound decisions. Students who are experiencing serious emotional difficulties, or who require specialized or longer-term treatment, can receive referrals to professional services off campus.

Services are free of charge. The staff follows strict professional codes of confidentiality. Counseling records are not part of University records.

Common issues include:

  • Alcohol/substance use and misuse
  • Anxiety (includes overcoming test anxiety, performance anxiety)
  • Body image
  • Depression
  • Eating concerns
  • Family matters
  • Grief/Loss
  • Identity
  • Loneliness
  • Relationships
  • Roommate issues
  • Self-esteem
  • Sexual Assault
  • Sexuality
  • Stress
  • Time management

Students interested in initiating counseling services can call 401-232-6045, or email Bryant Counseling Services: bcs@bryant.edu to set up a meeting with a counselor.  Counseling sessions can be in person, or via telehealth if you reside in Rhode Island.  Counseling Services are for students who are actively matriculating at Bryant. Prior to these meetings, students will be asked to sign an informed consent for these services and to provide student ID information. Your assigned counselor will talk through your needs and help find the appropriate resources if it is out of our scope of services.

Finding a counselor in your area: 
Sometimes students prefer to work with a provider off campus. A counselor can also help you with local referrals in your area.